Saturday, January 07, 2006

The Way The Mind Works

Isn't it interesting that we will sometimes go to great lengths to do something of little consequence, yet be a lot less willing to do something simple, necessary, yet annoying?

Example: On average my wife has to remind me two or three times to take the trash out before I get around to doing it. (Yeah, I am a great husband like that.) This isn't a difficult thing to do. Simply take the bag out of the trash can and take it with me when I go out to smoke, yet for some reason I put it off.

On the flip side, there are perfectly pointless things, like shuffling poker chips. A skill that is not highly complicated, but takes a little practice. I practiced a lot to learn how to do it. Now I am pretty good at it. Yet, now I do it out of some compulsion, or repeated desire to prove to myself that I can. I sit around watching tv and shuffling the poker chips with my right hand. Reading blogs, I shuffle with my right hand. Talking to my wife, I shuffle them absently with my right hand. Always the right hand, I can't seem to pull it off with my left yet, which is odd since I am left handed.

Now I type for a living and have carpel tunnel. So after several hours of shuffling, my right wrist is inflamed, and pain is shooting up my arm with each shuffle. Yet I keep doing it! Common sense would tell me that stopping for a while would be a good idea, but I don't. Even though the action is accomplishing nothing. Even though the trash still waits. And so continues an OCD moment in my life, or something close to it.

7 Comments:

Blogger Wanderer said...

BTW, MC - As illustrated by the above post, it is in fact possible to shuffle my cheaper chips. I don't know yet if it takes more focus or you just assumed and I was untalented. I will compare my new skills with your chips sometime soon I am sure.

7:38 PM  
Blogger Hegemon said...

It could be done; I was just saying it was harder.

Didn't you take some of my expensive ones, the blue ones, the other night? I remember you asking and I remember telling you where they were, but they all seem to be here.

8:59 PM  
Blogger Hegemon said...

PS. You said we could post detractions elswhere in your blog and this is clearly not a post about your other crap so here comes my detractions:

1) I still say the character you wrote is a total cunt and deserves to get the jaw throw.

2) Anyone who believes in "intelligent design" is severely flawed and should probably be wearing a helmet and disallowed to vote.

3) I told you not to do it too, so you can't fault that child-fucker for that.

4) Do you not see what being strong of faith in a religion from which you were later disaffected should tell you about having faith in things?!?!?! This is like, my main point of all points, and you've clearly laid it right in front of yourself saying "I was certain by principle of faith that Catholicism was the way to go, and then it turned out to be fucked up, retarded bullshit, but now I'm certain by principle of faith that this Wiccan crap is the way to go, so therefore it must be right."

9:21 PM  
Blogger Wanderer said...

"This is like, my main point of all points, and you've clearly laid it right in front of yourself saying 'I was certain by principle of faith that Catholicism was the way to go, and then it turned out to be fucked up, retarded bullshit, but now I'm certain by principle of faith that this Wiccan crap is the way to go, so therefore it must be right.'"

The whole point is that my faith has been in a higher power, and through my life I have found that some of the different places I have looked were found wanting in my estimation. Besides, while I am sure you will see it as bolstering your point, I have traveled somewhat outside of that which is most commonly defined as Wiccan as well. That is why you see me referring to myself as Pagan.

I obviously agree with you somewhat on the intelligent design comment, so I will just leave it at that.

Differences of opinion will obviously also exist on the character in question. Just a thought, though: I think if you were a deity, you would fuck with people a lot more than a couple of simple sarcastic questions. Add to that the impression that the question I was asking was implied to equate to "Why is grass always purple?" and I must again point out that I found her responses to be a lot less hostile than you did in retrospect.

As to the poker chips, I was too drunk when I left to remember to take them with me.

And finally, as to you telling me not to do it as well, this would happen to be one of those rare occasions where I would have to confidently state that this shows that you were also wrong.

10:03 PM  
Blogger Hegemon said...

You're still wrong, I'm going to keep telling you anyway, she's still a cunt and no one ever said McGod would have any warm feelings for his subjects, and ok, fair enough, you're right, but your first anniversary did make me lose $50.

3:29 PM  
Blogger Wanderer said...

"You're still wrong, I'm going to keep telling you anyway, she's still a cunt and no one ever said McGod would have any warm feelings for his subjects, and ok, fair enough, you're right, but your first anniversary did make me lose $50. "

I sincerely hope that the she you are referring to in your first sentence is the one we were previously discussing and not my wife.

2:11 PM  
Blogger Wanderer said...

This would be the point where MC would acknowledge what I already know: That he was not disrespecting my wife. I presume he is just assuming I knew that and was joking around, but my intention of that question was to illustrate that point to the rest of you in his defense.

9:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home