Friday, October 21, 2005

A New Avenue

Today, for the first day, the established routine of my wife, my daughter and I has been changed. For the entirety of my daughter's life, I have gotten up in the morning and gone to work, and my wife has stayed home to take care of her. Not so today. Today Martha has returned to work. I am working today as well, but not until this evening. So I had the opportunity of having the baby to take care of as she took off.

It has been an interesting first run. The baby felt I needed to be initiated, so she has thrown up on me four times already. After the first two times it happened my mother laughingly suggested the process of feeding her in small amounts and then burping her so that this didn't happen. So after a couple of ounces I sat her up, propped against my hand, and patted her back as my wife and mother regularly do. That was the third time. All over my hand. At least she was amused.

Actually she was feeling rather playful at the moment so I laid her down on the table in front of me and talked to her and tickled her and grinned like an idiot as she laughed and sang and kicked her feet around. She got herself real worked up. So much so, that when I picked her up again to carry her into the other room, she threw up on me again. Again, she seemed rather amused. I doubt she would have been so amused if the roles were reversed.

It was at about this point that I delegated the job of feeding my daughter to my mother in the hopes that she might induce her to keep some of it down. We shall see. One thing is for sure: With Martha working I am going to have to figure out the whole process of feeding her. There are generally others that can do it, but if they aren't there I am going to have to know how. That's just a part of life, or something close to it.

5 Comments:

Blogger Hegemon said...

I'm getting the feeling like you have non-intersecting sections on your target audience Venn.

6:45 PM  
Blogger Arthur Brokop II said...

ardy said, you were"feeding your daughter to your mother?"

8:27 PM  
Blogger Wanderer said...

MC - My target audience is so broad that I have to appeal to many different venues. :) In truth, you know well that my target audience is any out there who are willing to read the ramblings of a man like myself. I don't expect everyone to simply jump all over every topic of mine as one near and dear to their heart.

MaryEllen - Tell Ardy that if I had to feed Emily to anyone, I wouldn't trust anyone more than my mother to digest her properly.

10:27 PM  
Blogger Hegemon said...

Now hold on a minute.. there's got to be some dairy in your daughter somewhere, your mom might not be properly set up to digest her.

7:13 AM  
Blogger Hegemon said...

and by the way I wasn't saying I didn't care about your kid; I was just pointing out the drastic change in topic/tone etc.

7:14 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home