Friday, September 16, 2005

Rain

It's raining out here. Not too heavy. Just a little earth refreshing type of rain. My apologies to our Carolina friend, but I have always loved rain in all of its form. Even, to some extent during its most destructive fury. Not that I want to pay the price for said fury.

This morning has been a decent one. I didn't have to work today, so I slept in until about 9am. I was awakened by my wife saying, "How about staying with daddy for a moment."

Opening my eyes, I found little was in fact being expected of me at this point. Martha laid Emily down in the middle of the bed next to me and I spent several minutes just looking down at this beautiful baby girl who was looking back up at me with a look of wonder on her face. This was definitely a new trick for both of us.

Martha came back and fed her and I wandered into the computer room to check on my mail, blogs, and message boards. When Emily was done eating, once more I got to take her back, and for much of the morning I have been chatting with friends on line with this little angel nestled into my arm and alternating between dozing and staring up at me. So here I still am. She is eating again behind me but the last couple of hours have lazed by wonderfully. Listening to the rain falling outside and the distant thunder, feeling the moisture in the air and relaxing with a little music and the company of my wife and daughter.

So it happened this morning. I thought it had already happened but I was wrong. I figured that out today. I don't need the sun to be shining. It is a bright day despite the rain. Three weeks ago my daughter was born. It wasn't until this morning that our family was. Or perhaps it was, and today we simply christened it. Regardless of which is the case, I feel it now. The family unit with whom I will walk hand in hand through life, or something close to it.

1 Comments:

Blogger Wanderer said...

Then you obviously haven't looked that closely at her. There is of course the fact that there is superficial, on sight beauty. Then there is the deeper beauty in such things as holding your daughter in your arms.

12:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home