Saturday, October 01, 2005

An Interesting Time

Martha's ten year reunion from high school just came around. Last night we all took a tour of the school to see what changes have been made to it, and today we got together for a picnic and more social gathering. It was definitely an interesting experience all around.

When we first arrived, Martha told me that I should take the lead since I probably knew more of her classmates than she did. I laughed about this, but as it turned out she was right. I knew three or four of them, and she had only associated with two of them. We had a good time reminiscing about the school though.

Today I did a lot of wandering about and chatting with her classmates. We had taken Emily with us, so Martha did a lot more sitting around and letting folks come to pay homage to our daughter and talk to her while they were at it. Since they were catering the event and had a couple of kegs to hover around I knew it was going to be a good time, but the socializing aspect played out good as well.

As I wandered from group to group, I occasionally found myself reminiscing with someone about events that happened at our school that I did recall. Other times I had no idea what they were talking about, but just listened. It wasn't until I was making my rounds to say goodbye that I made a disturbing discovery.

It was about the time I went out of my way to say goodbye to a girl I hadn't known, nor had I talked to for more than a few minutes in the past two days. The reason I made it a point to say goodbye was that she had been one of the few to immediately recognize Martha without the assistance of a name tag. It seemed the right thing to do. That was when it hit me. Somewhere in the past couple of years, at a point I can't nail down, I became the same kind of social creature that my mother is. At some point I moved out of the corners and started talking to and joking with people I barely knew, or didn't know but had some vague reason for associating with. Being the proud introvert that I am, this ability scared the hell out of me, and I am not sure what my final opinion about it is yet. It was a good time, but a short one. Now we have five more years to wait before we do it again.

Enough about that for now, though. It is about time for me to go to bed. Before I do, I must honor Lisanocerous' request:

The latest Emily chronicles:
I came home from work yesterday and stepped in long enough to collect Martha to go on the school tour. In doing so I found a new piece of furniture I hadn't seen yet. This item is a small chair that is slightly reclined and has multicolored noisy little toys hanging above it. The chair faced my mother, but Emily neither looked at her or the toys. Her head was turned and she was watching tv, reclined back with her hands laying on her stomach. She even squawked at Simba when he interrupted her line of sight.

While I initially thought this was cute, I was slightly concerned by her fascination with the television. It is not a big deal now, but I figure if it is ingrained in her that will make convincing her to do something non television related later might be more difficult. My concerns about this were lessoned later when I got home and turned on the poker match and Martha put her in the chair again. As she intently watched the poker game I realized that maybe the television is at least useful on an educational level. After all, anything that will teach my daughter to be a stellar poker player by the age of three can't be all that bad, can it?

I could probably go on about everything and nothing, but I do have a painful wake up call coming way to early in the morning. I would love to cancel it, but one has to pay the bills. That's just life, or something close to it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home