Wednesday, September 14, 2005

A New Day

First, a format note for those of you desiring to comment. I have added word verification to try and stop the sudden spamming on my blog. I still want to know what comments you folks have, so make sure you fill that part out.

Thank you for your varying comments of support based on my post from last night. Everyone has a bad day. Yesterday was one of mine. Today, life goes on.

I am not going to go too much into what prompted that issue yesterday. Unfair I know after putting a post like that out there, but I suppose that's my right. Sorry folks.

Today was an interesting day, that brought me to think about the question that I proposed yesterday. That of the bonuses, if any of doing right by others and helping them out. Here is what happened.

I stopped into the bar after work to use their ATM so I could buy a bus pass. I convinced myself that it wouldn't be fair play to not buy something after using their ATM so I bought a beer. One beer and twenty minutes later I was on my way to buy the bus pass. On the way I passed a bum who is familiar to all in the area. He is generally hostile to all and I have never assisted him. Quite the contrary, I have frequently run him off when he got hostile to others. Today he calmly asked if I had a cigarette, so I gave it to him. When he asked for a light I also gave him my spare lighter. (No I am not nominating myself for sainthood, just giving the facts.) When he asked if I had any change to spare I truthfully told him no.

After waiting in line for twenty minutes to get my bus pass, I stepped up to the counter to find that I had twenty six dollars in my pocket. The change from my twenty dollar bill after buying a beer and tipping the bartender.

So I walked back from midtown to Richmonds to straighten things up with the bartender. On the way, my homeless acquaintance began pestering me for money, apparently forgetting how happy he was with the spare lighter I offered. The bartender on the other hand was shocked by the fact that I had returned with the money and bought me a beer. Shortly thereafter I was on my way, and considering to myself the two examples of humanity. On the one hand my quite unexpected gesture is almost instantly forgotten, in the other, my good deed will be remembered. In neither case does this help me at all. So why help people then? I can't help them all, I would drown if I tried. This leaves no reason than to just do it for myself. No wonder nobody helps anyone out anymore.

As a side note, MC, I am not likely to come to you and explain much about yesterday's comments either. Nothing personal, you just know how I am. If I was to discuss it with anyone you would definitely be the second most likely person for me to discuss it with. Time will tell. About this or other issues we will definitely have to sit down and talk some time soon.

Well, there are my daily musings. I have wasted enougth time. Go back to your life or something close to it.

3 Comments:

Blogger Kim said...

I enjoy your writing talent, and have fallen behind in my blog readings -- but I have enjoyed what I've read of your discussion over at Maryellen's place. Don't stop communicating -- you have a gift with words.

Today's story is a great illustration.

People will do what people will do -- we can never control that. The only thing we have control over is what we do. An act of kindness has a value to the one who gives and the one who receives -- but the one who is meant to receive can alway miss the blessing. That's okay, it seems. Especially if the giver is blessed either way.

How's the lovely Emily?

9:23 PM  
Blogger Hegemon said...

As clarification to Kim's post, you have a gift with several words.. Point, minimiphidian, and wonder come to mind. However, you never have had a good handle on maple, curmudgeon, or perambulator.

Work on that.

8:08 AM  
Blogger Hegemon said...

You hang out in men's rooms at bars?

6:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home