Monday, September 19, 2005

Busy Weekend

On Saturday it was back to work for me after a quite enjoyable day with my wife and daughter. A friend of mine whom I hadn't seen in a while had come over Friday afternoon and stayed for several hours, and I even got some decent sleep. All good parts to the formula. Work was fairly uneventful, but busy enough to go by quickly.

On my way home, I stopped to try my numbers once on the "Quick Pick". A drawing began right before my numbers went in and hit on all four. My drawing didn't hit any. So a slightly quicker pace across the street could have made the difference between winning $55 and my loss of $2. Oh well. I got home and helped to get the baby together and ready to go for a walk in her new stroller. We took her over to my in-laws' house for a barbecue to celebrate Martha's birthday. A great time, as always was had by all over there.

When we got home we found a cradle full of kids toys, books and blankets; a box full of the same, and one of those things you put the baby in that bounces and has all of the toys attached. All of these were stacked neatly by the door. We are presuming they are all items from the yard sale that had been going on across the street, but we still haven't identified the donors yet.

This spontaneous gifting alarmed me, and mildly annoyed me at first. I told Martha that a) I wasn't used to being on the receiving end of charity from a stranger, I am generally on the other side and b) If there was going to be a gesture like this I would like to at least look the other guy in the eye. Martha startled me when she summed it up neatly, saying, "So that your pride could step up and you could say 'No thanks, we're all set here.'" She's probably right. I probably would have, so I guess it is just as well the timing was as it was.

That being as it was, I closed out the evening by playing my new PS2 World Champion Poker game until about 4 am. (My mother's gift to Martha for her birthday was watching the baby overnight.

Sunday rolled around and the family all geared up and went to my company picnic. I always enjoy these things and they get better every year. A couple of the staple items remain the same, though. Lots of beer, and some seriously competitive volleyball. Tradition stands, and our team won in the end. I even managed to avoid seriously injuring my knee this year. Another thing that is good news is that it appears that my hand isn't actually broken, just severely sprained. Bad news is that it is my left hand and I am left handed.

My boss questioned whether I would be out long for the hand injury since I type for a living, but I told her that was just silly. I type so much faster than most of my co-workers that tying one hand behind my back will make us even. I am fairly certain she appreciated the humor, and more certain she appreciates not having to rework the schedule.

So that was my eventful weekend. Just another couple of pages in my life, or something close to it.

2 Comments:

Blogger Hegemon said...

PS So are brides.

10:38 AM  
Blogger Wanderer said...

Oh, good job, MC. You woke up the Lisanoceros. Now we're all in trouble. :)

9:53 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home