Sunday, July 17, 2005

A Wedding, Some Thoughts

I had the honor of being one of the guests at a beautiful wedding ceremony yesterday, as well as celebrating with the happy couple afterwards. While taking part in this celebration, I found many thoughts running through my mind beyond joy for the new couple.

I thought back to my own wedding. The few parts I could remember anyway. I find it surprising that it was almost seven years ago. It got me thinking about all of the wonderful times, and the sad times that have come and gone in this short period of time. Some of the thoughts were somewhat comical in nature, some more serious.

I listened to the vows and remembered the near identical ones that Martha and I took. It made me realize that we are slacking. We are still waiting for the parts involving "richer" and "health" among other things. We have done the sickness and the poor parts. Of course it is a decent trade off I suppose. After all we have also been seriously slacking in the "worse" portion. I would say the relationship has just kept getting better, so we can handle the little speed bumps.

I also found myself looking way too far forward, as I watched the bride and her father dancing out on the floor. I suppose it is a little premature for me to already be thinking that may be me one day, but I still did. I think this is where Chip will tell me to relax again. :)

My head has been swimming since I left the reception, with thoughts that were inspired by the ceremony and celebration. Thoughts of the past, of the future and of the present. That is the power of such celebrations though, as we share precious moments of our lives with others in this manner. Such beautiful memories and wonderful expectations that were inspired by this special moment are why I feel honored to have been there, to take my part in her future happy memories.

That's just my take of the day on this life, or something close to it.

1 Comments:

Blogger Arthur Brokop II said...

my son jeremiah got married last wednesday, sort of...
Art and I drove him and the girl's brother from Shiprock, New Mexico to Phoenix Ar. It was a 7 hour drive, from 3:00am to about 9:00am (losing an hour due to the time line). After a few minutes to catch our breath, we drove them all to the county office where they bought their licence. Then we went to Chili's for lunch, where we went over the paper work. Pastor Art prayed over the couple, the papers were signed, and that was that. We drove back to Shiprock on Thursday. The happy couple is living in our place for a few weeks, until they can afford to get their own place. They will have a church ceremony in a few months. Some thoughts...Ardy was at your wedding 7 years ago. Who would have thought that he'd be where he is now back then?
What makes a wedding a wedding, or a marriage a marriage. Art and I celebrated 25 years on New Year's Eve. Funny, it has been a real hard quarter of a century, but when anyone asks, when the subject comes up, I always say that we have a good marriage...we do
Sounds like you and martha have a good one too. I don't know if the richer and healthier ever comes...it hasn't really been a big part of ours...but life and love goes on. Blessings on you all
me

3:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home