Wednesday, July 20, 2005

A Mother's Love

You pray to me when you need help, and I grant it to you. You tell me that you love me and seek to give what I would have of you, and I believe you. Yet you take yourself too seriously.

You do not dance for me, for you fear looking foolish. You forget I have seen you in the shower. You will not sing to me, for your voice is not perfect. You forget that I hear you in your car. You do not offer me poetry and flowery speeches, dramas or entertainment, fearing your attempts would seem amateurish and ill-prepared. You forget that I witnessed your wedding proposal. I have seen the worst of you, and loved you still. Why would I scoff at your best?

Dance in the rain that I give you. That's what it is there for. You will dry.
Laugh with the wind that roars by you. You won't be laughing alone.
Sing to your babies in the evening. They are too young to know you're off key.
When you smile, don't check the shade of your teeth, or count how many are missing. Count the number of people who smile back.
If you plan something serious in my honor, know there will be mistakes. If those around you laugh, they have the right idea.

Bask in the sun, smile at the moon, and stop to smell the roses. The bills will still be there later. Remember when you tell me you love me to wait long enough for me to respond. Remember when you need help with your problems to ask. If my help is not apparent, it may not have been as needed as you thought. After all, if I do everything for you, what will you have to be proud of? How in turn will you make me proud?

Smile wide, laugh often, and if you are not singing, then listen. I will sing to you.

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger Arthur Brokop II said...

I know that you believe those words would be the words of the mother...but I think the Father would say them too.
And oh how I need the Father to say them to me right now.
Our Father who art in heaven,
Hallowed be thy name...
Ardy used to think that prayer was about his father Art, and he would say, "but mommy, daddy isn't in heaven, he's in the front room..."
Darn that Ardy!

2:35 PM  
Blogger Erin said...

That's excellent, Steve. Thanks for mentioning it. That's very much what I was getting at in my post.

2:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home