Saturday, March 03, 2007

The Storm Moon

The Storm Moon will rise over Rochester, NY at 5:56pm EST. It becomes full at 6:17pm EST and becomes fully eclipsed at 6:22pm EST. It will set at 6:58 am EST on March 4th.

It rises over Farmington, NM at 6:09 pm MST (Having become full at 4:17pm MST) and will set at 6:59am MST on March 4th. The eclipse should only be visible in Eastern North America.

The Storm moon comes at a time when there is a significant changing of the seasons again. The last storms of winter come through and make way for spring. While spring is often thought of as a gentle time, spring has storms of its own. We know more now about the differing pressure systems and their impacts on each other as the seasons change, but there was a time where such knowledge wasn't so technical. It was just known that around the time of this moon, the storms that came with the changing of the seasons could be expected. This moon was also known as the Worm Moon, for similar reasons, as these storms softened the land and the worms returned, at least visibly so.

The eclipse is a particularly prominent occurrence to those who who give credence to the power of the moon, and lunar enchantments are said to be particularly powerful at this time. The reason being that in the course of the moon's shadow crossing the earth, the moon gives the appearance of going through all phases in a single day. A matter of hours in fact.

The next new moon will be March 18th at 10:42 pm EST. 9 minutes after a partial eclipse of the sun that will be visible only in Alaska.
The next full moon (The Wind Moon) will be April 2nd at 1:15pm.
The next Sabatt will be Ostara on March 20th.

There is your solar, lunar and holiday update for this month. You may return to your life, or something close to it.

Labels: ,

9 Comments:

Blogger Cindy said...

"The last storms of winter come through and make way for spring."

Do tell.

Good to see you, Steve.

5:48 PM  
Blogger Hegemon said...

Tell me if I am missing something, but why would the moon be casting a shadow on the Earth during a lunar eclipse?

I'm pretty sure the Earth shadows the moon.

9:17 AM  
Blogger Wanderer said...

MC - Gee, I would love to discuss the philosophical implications of an obvious typo, but I can't think of where to begin.

1:57 AM  
Blogger Hegemon said...

If it were a typo there wouldn't be that part about "This is sacred to us because this part happens."

9:08 PM  
Blogger Wanderer said...

MC - Your response makes little sense. I thought you were an atheist. Are you claiming now that by declaring something sacred I can't then make a simple error while writing?

I said it was an obvious typo, for reasons that Lisa already illustrated, but I may have been wrong about the obvious part. It was still a typo. One that I have not fixed only because our talking about it in the comments would then make no sense.

The point I was trying to make before misplacing the word earth and moon was that the earth's shadow makes the same transit across the moon in hours that it normally does over the course of a month. Thus providing all phases in one shot.

3:47 PM  
Blogger Hegemon said...

I think the both of you are getting on my case for something I didn't do.

The moon would appear to go through all the phases from half through new and into the other half during a solar eclipse as well, from 90 degrees to -90 degrees.

Reading back I find no indication that I was being antagonistic. Nor do I see where I was taking anything out on anybody. In what way was I writing any differently than I ever do? On the contrary, I believe Wanderer keys off of any counter-contention as attack and becomes hostile, perceiving himself slighted, and then Lisa, reading through after the fact, reads it the same way as it was read by the next response, as reading it directly after provides post-coloring.

I don't think either one of you two realizes how much restraint I show, for the sake of the entire concept and mission of this blog, in anything I write here, ever.

1:07 AM  
Blogger Wanderer said...

MC - I apologize if I misunderstood the tenor of your statements. It has nothing to do with the fact that I was being contradicted, but that the fact you pointed out was blatantly obvious. The phrases "Tell me if I am missing something" and "I am pretty sure" are often used by you when you are being patronizing, add to that the subject matter (the fact that the earth shadows the moon during a lunar eclipse, not the other way around) which is something any moron knows. This leaving one of two possibilities. I was guilty of a typo or I'm an idiot.

If it bothers you that I would be slightly defensive when you seemed to indicate a serious lack of intelligence on my part, take it up with our mothers. It is their fault that I've been competing with you on that score for longer than even you remember.

That applies only to your second comment, though, where you pushed the theory that my claim to have made a simple error was false. (Thus implying a lack of knowledge of the basic principles of the the moon's reflection of the sun's light.) My first comment was a joke, in response to what I had assumed was a joke, until you pushed the attack.

That aside, what the hell was the premise you were attempting to convey with the "this is sacred to us because" comment? I am sure there is some rational argument you were attempting to make there, but I am missing it.

5:53 AM  
Blogger Chip Nelson said...

Actually the inmates went rather wild the night of the eclipse. I'm unsure if the one thing had anything to do with the other but it happened nonetheless.

Glad to visit again, it's been a while. Hope all is well.

11:17 AM  
Blogger Wanderer said...

All is well enough, Chip. Glad to see you again.

3:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home