Monday, January 22, 2007

Understanding Versus Perception

An intelligent being can initially (and emotionally somewhat continually) perceive something quite different from rational understanding. This may or may not be news to you, but it is the basis for many elements of my life, and I imagine many of yours as well.

The rational mind can understand that the one who can not drive will fall by the wayside to those who can when the joining of friends has a limit of possible participants and is long distance. The rational mind has no problem with this. The irrational perception recognizes the fact that two successive friends jap on him on the same night. Two friends he went out of the way to hook up with when he had plans that stood without them. The irrational mind screams at the fact that the plan involving many friends was originally presented in the manner that it was expected that he would be there, despite not knowing of these plans, then rejected as superfluous. The irrational mind recognizes that the first friend japping on him was expected and the second has never done so, let alone in a fashion of stating he already assumed his presence at the arrangement before rendering him superfluous as a poor second cousin.

The rational mind recognizes that every human being has different tastes, likes and dislikes, and the closeness of relationship has no effect on these differences. The irrational mind can't understand why he would sit through four hours of Klingon opera just because she wanted to partake in the entertainment yet she can practically throw a ear phone at him after two beats of a song he has finally got his hands on that he wants to hear.

A rational mind understands that the important things in life involve work, which pays for necessities, which alleviate some minor level of worries that allows him to go to work again to resume the cycle. An irrational mind can't sleep because this cycle doesn't allow him anything to offer to prevent the most important person in his life from vanishing while he is too busy trying to pay for her roof to have time left to pay attention.

The rational mind keeps hearts beating, roofs over heads and food over tables. The irrational mind wonders where his life went while he did all of this.

The irrational mind wonders what, if anything people will think of this writing. The rational mind says that the myriad reactions are part of life, or something close to it.

2 Comments:

Blogger Hegemon said...

As I told you, and as is the total truth, Mike made the plan while I was in Chicago. Originally we were going to have three boxes, mine, Phill's, and one of his friends', thus affording the opportunity for 12 players. I thought you were coming, Bib too, for that matter. Then, Phill called and said the one of his friends with the extra box wasn't coming thus paring us to eight. We allready had four players here, plus Phill and his three friends.. eight.

I understand the frustration but what else would we have done? Sent one of the people allready here home?

Trust me, given my preference it would have been different. I don't like Phill's friends, never have. One of them was cheating, their team was winning every game, which led me to get so angry that as my team's champion I challenged their team's champion to a heads-up for $20 even knowing he was kicking my ass. I lost.

Plus, like I said on the phone there'll be other nights. If I wrote something up every time someone japped on me, especially for poker which is interdependent with the number of players, I'd never have time to write anything else. It happens.

12:56 PM  
Blogger Wanderer said...

It does. Like I insinuated in the rational/irrational portion of it, I understand that. This wasn't an attack on you, more on myself for becoming angered by being left out due to lack of transportation from something I hadn't been originally planning on. I.E. Annoyance at being forced to continue with my original plans. Irrational.

10:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home