Wednesday, January 24, 2007

Things So Easily Missed

I read the story about the accident several days ago. While at work today I scanned the article about the young boy who died. As is too often the case I skipped over the names of the victims as being irrelevant to me. If they impacted my life I would have heard from someone by now.

Martha read the story a few days ago in the paper, and she read the article this morning. She also just scanned it. My daughter brought the same section of the paper to her three times, and three times my wife simply placed it aside. The fourth time Martha's eyes caught a name as she was placing the paper aside.

One of the drivers that was killed was someone we knew. One of the most seriously injured individuals that is still in the hospital is the woman whose relationship with him is the only reason I knew him beyond being the guy from the pizza shop. The only reason MC knew who he was at all.

I cannot decide what ethical aspects might be involved, so having no reason to share with folks who don't know her, I will not print her name here. To those of you of any religion who read this blog, I ask that you pray for the recovery of a woman important to me. Have faith in your god that He/She will know who is being referenced. For those of you who don't have any religious position, I can request nothing of you. At least not of those who don't personally know me. Those of you who do might want to check in with me to make sure all is cool on this front. (Or you might not. I imagine I will be fine.)

The past way too often effects the present unexpectedly. Exemplified by the fact that one of those who might want to know that this friend could use some old friends by her side may also not know what has happened, but I don't even recall his last name. I only know his first name and where he lives. While out of the way, I may have to go that route in the next few days to make sure he knows.

MC, since I said you know who the individuals in question are (if only peripherally) I will clarify for your sake. The man who is lost is the one who took exception with you leaving his windows open when you were moving his couch. As, by connection you could tell, the woman in question would be the one you presumed I referred to in an earlier post.

That is all that I can really say about this issue for the moment. I know those of you outside of our circles may feel left out, but that is life, or something close to it.

8 Comments:

Blogger Cindy said...

Praying for your friend.

9:35 AM  
Blogger Hegemon said...

That sucks.

Obviously, while he took exception to my leaving the windows open, I took exception to what he did first, but I know what she meant to you.

I'll call you later.

11:42 AM  
Blogger funfox8177 said...

i heard about the whole thing from mom which is why i stopped by here now was to see if you had said anything about it. i will of course check on you and wish that you had checked in to let me know of the need. i have a lot going on now with my daughter being here and we have disagreed some recently about our daughters but i am always here, a phone call, a text and really even only a walk away.

2:45 PM  
Blogger Hegemon said...

Sorry I didn't call, I got too busy and too wrapped up in what I was doing. If it's any consolation, I'm two steps out of three closer to $38,000.

We'll hook up tomorrow.

1:59 AM  
Blogger Wanderer said...

Cindy - Thank you.

MC - I understood then as I do now. I do appreciate the sentiment, I was not in fact certain that you did know.

Funfox - Short of my writing here it has been mostly internal, as I imagine it will continue to be as I watch and wait to see the outcome.

2:02 AM  
Blogger Wanderer said...

Interesting timing, MC :)

2:03 AM  
Blogger funfox8177 said...

I know that you are like that, i also know that you tend to reach out to me so I wanted you to know that my daughter living here does not change the fact that I am there for you when the need is there. It may alter it some and the times may not always be convenient but I am still here.

5:38 PM  
Blogger Wanderer said...

Funfox - I appreciate your reiterating that, even if you did so hours before demonstrating that you aren't in fact always there to help me when I need to straighten shit out. (Not pointing any fingers or blame, just tired enough to find the contradiction funny.)

I think, though, that you somewhat missed the point that I was making that in person I didn't reach out to anyone. In these circumstances, I don't do that. If not for the pseudo-anonymity of typing words on a web page, I would probably not have said anything to anyone.

1:12 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home