Saturday, November 04, 2006

Election Day

For those of you who noticed that I made no mention of Samhain this year, I apologize, but I was too busy to make note of it here. Feel free to read through this rerun from last year if you need your fix.

I write now to remind all of you folks that election day is coming up. (November 7th if you don't already know.) I am not however reminding you simply so you know which day to vote, but also to remind you that your vote carries more weight as far as shaping the society within which we live if you keep yourself informed about the issues surrounding the various candidates.

I am paying attention to these issues, and I imagine it will not surprise you to know that many of the issues I am watching revolve around the "Marriage Protection Act" and related issues.

While you may not agree with the stance I take on this issue, I would hope that you at least have the sense to look at what I do as a result. I closely watch things such as the "HRC Score Card" as well as personally watching the agendas and associated actions of the people for whom I would or would not be voting.

The bottom line is that we should all be getting involved in the politics around us. These issues will affect all of us. You can say that you as one person won't make much of a difference. MC and I were discussing this very question tonight. As he pointed out, the reality of this is that one person doesn't make much difference. However, the only way the majority comes into existence is when a large number of single individuals decide to step forward to become part of the group. To help form the group.

The biggest difficulty that we all face is that our society is one of apathy and inertia. An object at rest stays at rest, particularly when it cares, but not that much. We need as many individuals as possible to step forward and become part of the drive. As I told him, I am no longer content to sit quietly by and just bitch to my friends about what should be seen. MC and I have a mutual friend who has already put me to shame. (I say me, not us, because MC was in the military at the time and wouldn't have had the option to become politically active as she did. I, however, could have.)

Whether you agree with me or not, you have a duty to stand up to allow the possibility that everyone who agrees with you will too. That a move could be made. For a government of the people and by the people, too many of the people are silent when it comes to decision time.

Much like now. Look at this administration. Look at its anti non-evangelical stance and tell me that there aren't a number of opponents who are simply too apathetic to speak out. Look at the fact that we aren't running a President of the United States out on a rail for suggesting, let alone pushing, legislation to treat a large group of his country's citizens like lepers, to be shunned and even outlawed. Tell me that we have a right to be proud of our democratic process when we don't put an immediate end to any attempt to terrorize our own people. To legislate on things that don't actually effect us. To put one religion down as law.

We are beyond the voting question here. Basic human rights are being thrown away and too many people are willing to look away because it doesn't effect them yet. History shows that this apathy ensures the scenario is only beginning. It has been said in the past that if you didn't vote, you have no right to complain. Voting alone may not be enough. Stand up and let the people around you know how you feel. Make your politics real and prominent so that people know how you feel and vice versa. Maybe then one side or the other will have an opportunity to help their opponent learn. Maybe then we can achieve some true success.

On Tuesday, don't go vote for your party or for the best commercial. Go to the booth knowing you did your research. Go in knowing that you made an educated decision for your future. Your decisions will mold the world that my daughter lives in, so vote responsibly. Vote for a world where she can see that there are still decent human beings. Forget the party and vote for what is right for the people. All of the people, not just the ones from your pew.

So there is my commentary (for this moment) on politics. Feel free to return to your regularly scheduled life, or something close to it.

5 Comments:

Blogger Cindy said...

you're right, Steve, we do need to be well informed. which means something entirely different from watching commercials. i've grown particularly weary of partisan judiciary races. i don't think the judiciary should be partisan in any way. it's hard to watch the commercials and imagine any of them are fair and right thinking. at least around here.

good words.

8:41 AM  
Blogger Wanderer said...

A lack of official partisan affiliation doesn't change where you stand on an issue and which parties back you.

1:57 PM  
Blogger Cindy said...

MC now that you ask I can't remember if they say which party they belong to, or if it's just so obvious that I never have to wonder. Steve, you're right, by the endorsements alone you can tell. Now i'll go watch a few more ads (gag, gasp, hack, wretch) to see if they mention a party or not. i wonder if there will be any more ads on tonight. HAAAA!!!HAHAAAAA!!!HAHAHAHA!!!!
HAHAA!!!HAAAHAHAAAA!!! HA! I kill me.

9:34 PM  
Blogger Hegemon said...

Lisa:

I'm not saying that you were, but a lot of people accuse me of opening my mouth and shutting my ears when discussing religion or politics. It's easy to label arguments as such, but it's not true, as I could very easily be hearing everything someone is saying and thinking about it but still judging it all to be incorrect, nonsensical, illogical or wrongful. I've had several instances where I listened to everything for the purpose of finding something to agree on to build common ground and not finding a single datum I could acknowledge as correct/logical/right.

Incidentally, I got a call from the Republicans today who wanted to make sure I got out to vote tomorrow. I asked why they wanted ME to vote as an ever-increasingly ardent leftist, and they reminded me I was registered as a Republican because when I turned 18 I didn't really have a party so I picked Rep. so I could vote in the primary that year.

I should go change that soon.

12:49 AM  
Blogger Cindy said...

wow MC. an actual person called you. all we've gotten is machines. unfortunately, we've missed a few calls from friends because we've stopped answering the phone. (I know- we do have voicemail- we just forget to check it)
anyway- i didn't see any indication of party affiliation on the judicial ads. (they constantly screech back and forth about liberal or conservative and show someone playing the piano in her church - ack) so i didn't realize.

9:08 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home