Monday, October 09, 2006

20 Minutes Of My Life

As some of you may have noticed, I went out to be entertained by a well renowned (at least locally, and since he isn't local, I suspect beyond) hypnotist. His name is J. Medicine Hat. I have seen several other supposed hypnotists before, including Sandman at the same club. They are fun shows to watch. Due to some screwy issues involving my family dynamics, I didn't go Friday, I went tonight. I have never believed in the actual effects of hypnosis and hypnotic suggestions as demonstrated. (My long term readers will remember a debate on this around a year ago, I am too lazy to research and find the post as it was the comments, not the posts, that introduced the question.)

The problem I have (a minor one to be sure) is that I am still inclined to believe it doesn't work, but have circumstancial evidence to the contrary. In short, I didn't volunteer to go on stage, but stayed instead to eat and drink and enjoy. I recall the beginnings of his speech to encourage the state of mind of those on stage and thinking about how it was similar or different to some practices I have used on others. I also know that there was a 20 minute gap in which I easily could have nodded off that folks at my table and strangers at surrounding tables insist that I followed the directions of him, with assistance from his assistant who stayed by me, prior to the decision by Mr. Medicine Hat that given the choice between my response and the apparent response of a more attractive female, I lost and I was to be woken up.

It disturbs me to hear these reports that during this gap in consciousness I did such things. (The gap not being as disturbing, as that kind of thing happens on occasion.) I still can't bring myself to believe this stuff works, but can't see why my parents and strangers would have collaborated to tell a story about what I might have done while asleep. More annoying is the off chance that the process works and the fact that while I was fully awake at the end of the show he told the participants on stage that any of them who smoked and had considered quitting would no longer be inclined to smoke. If the first part of this bullshit worked, which I don't admit, then it would seem I got screwed on the second half. Still, I am glad that according to their story I wasn't picked, as the show was hilarious and I don't see as how I would have enjoyed having missed the entire show, rather than just 20 minutes.

So there is the surreal aspect of life, or something close to it.

8 Comments:

Blogger peppylady (Dora) said...

I don't know if I believe in hypnotic or not. My sister in law went to one to quite smoking.
I don't know if I believe in hypnotic or not.
I guess it would be where a person state of mind is.

5:08 PM  
Blogger Hegemon said...

These people that told you you were hypnotized - these are the same people that told you there was a Santa Claus, yes?

People lie to other people, especially in consspiracies, when they believe it's all in good fun.

5:29 AM  
Blogger Wanderer said...

You think that these people in question would take advantage of my condition to claim it was something else, to the extent of getting stranger in on it? It seems a little too close to open mockery to me, even if, perhaps, the more preferable explanation.

11:32 PM  
Blogger Hegemon said...

Convincing kids there was a Santa Claus, Easter Bunny, or God always seemed a little too close to open mockery for me, too.

I wouldn't put it past them.

The only two alternatives are to believe that somehow your neurological condition caused you to act on suggestion while unconscious, or to believe in superstitious hocus-pocus.

1:56 AM  
Blogger Wanderer said...

I don't see that those are the only two real possibilities. The possibility could exist that there is something to the concept of hypnosis. Since you suggest that my neurological condition could have caused me to be in a position to react to suggestion, is it that far of a jump that one might be able to lull another into a similar state if they weren't actively fighting the process?

Again, as indicated, I am not a solid witness in this regards, and am not sure where I stand on the question overall, but it seems that there is some possibility that it could have some viability that distances it from general superstition or hocus pocus.

2:52 AM  
Blogger Hegemon said...

Come on.

Don't buy in for yet more mysticism and hooey because of circumstantial evidence and hearsay from bystanders that could easily have been motivated to screw with you.

I wonder if it would change anything to point out that I truthfully predicted you'd believe in hypnotism by the end of the show.

12:37 AM  
Blogger Hegemon said...

And by truthfully I mean "I actually did", not "and it was right."

12:37 AM  
Blogger Wanderer said...

Good call, except that I have been to several shows before. It seems that you miss the fact that I am skeptical just because I acknowledge that I can see some validity to the possibility. Instead being motivated to accuse me of being gullible.

It seems the fact that I am a religious individual is sufficient for you to claim that I am capable of falling for anything.

I have gone to multiple such shows without being the slightest bit impressed, then I mention one incident that raises my curiosity about the fact that there may be a possibility that there may be some minor reality to the process and you grace me with the information that you "called it" that I would be dumb enough to fall for it.

Thanks.

5:54 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home