Saturday, April 29, 2006

A Mother's Forgiveness

I walked through the field, watching Her as She sat in the crook of the lone tree rising from the middle of the meadow. She watched me approach and when I got close enough to make out the expression on Her face, She smiled.

"You do get so worked up on individual subjects, don't you?" She asked conversationally.

I just shrugged, saying "Sorry."

"No you aren't." She said with a laugh. She dropped out of the tree and glanced over Her shoulder at me. "But I forgive you."

"Now that was just spiteful." I retorted.

She laughed again. "Perhaps you are not only a student, but a teacher as well." With an inclination of Her head, She began to walk, and I followed Her. "But I wasn't being spiteful. I have a point to make."

"Of course you do." I said. "And I suspect from your tone, that your point is that I am wrong."

"Now you are being petulant." She rebuked me. "Few are the times that I have come right out and said you were wrong about something. I would like to discuss it though."

"Okay, then let's discuss." I said shortly. "Where are the flaws in my argument?"

Her laughter seemed a musical echo, though there was nothing for the sound to bounce off of, out in the open as we were. She twirled around for a moment and sat down like a young girl at play, enjoying the sunshine. It struck me that She did look particularly young at the moment. "Of course I do, you silly boy." She replied to my thought. "And you know perfectly well why, so don't change the subject."

"Which is how my argument is flawed." I said, more annoyed. "So flawed that my mere suggestion that you point out how has you laughing at me."

"I am not laughing at you. Not in the sense of mockery. I do find it amusing, thought, that you have set yourself ready to include me into your debate. To defend your position about me against my own opinion on the matter." She ran Her hands over the grass, and a single flower rose up to meet Her hand. She picked it and slid it into Her hair. "Surely you see the humor in this."

"Yes. Hilarious." I sat across from Her. "So are you going to enlighten me?"

"Probably not. You are so bullheaded sometimes. I will try to let you enlighten yourself though."

"So you will leave me to talk this over amongst myself and get back to you with what I come up with?" The sarcasm crept in.

"Tell me why it is that you push so hard on this topic of forgiveness. Why you are so adamant against it that you get annoyed when I utter the words 'I forgive you'". She rose to Her feet again, and once more I followed Her.

As She walked along, I watched the various flowers and plants growing up in Her wake, wherever She had placed Her feet. It gave me time to consider. "I guess that I can't sum it up any better than to say that I find the teaching dangerous and irresponsible." I admitted. "I have many points that lead me to this conclusion, but you are already familiar with them all."

"Moreso than you." She said with a smile in Her voice. A hint of sadness crept in. "But you delude yourself."

"How so?" I demanded.

"Because you don't truly have an issue with the word, or even the concept." She turned to face me, a look of concern in Her eyes. "You use the examples of the dangerous routes the concept can take, and use them as your evidence that there is a problem with the concept of forgiveness. A problem with the teaching. But you know as well as I do that it isn't the concept or the teaching that is the problem. It is how some people will misinterpret it and or twist it when they teach. You can't fault the concept for this, because this can happen with any concept. You know this."

"I guess I do know that." I admitted. "But what good can the concept of forgiveness offer?"

"You know the answer to that question already." She replied, turning to walk along the meadow once more. "You have answered it in your rewriting of the concept in the arguments you have already made. This is why some of these arguments you get in bother me. You both argue the same point and wonder why you haven't convinced the other to see the logic of your statement."

I was startled to see that we had reached the edge of a cliff, far below which the ocean stretched out before us. Looking around, my mind made adjustments of the scenery, imagining it illuminated by the moon rather than the sun, and I panicked.

"Yes, we are here." She said with a wry smile. "You hadn't realized?"

"It isn't the full moon." I said in a rush. "It is barely past the new moon. You can't ask me that question now."

Her eyebrow raised, and She smirked. "Can't I? Why not?" As my heart raced, She smiled reassuringly. "I won't ask. Not that it would matter. You don't have the answer now or later, what difference does it make?"

I had to admit that She had a point. Yet a part of me kept trying to find the answer, and that part cried out for all of the time it could get before the next deadline. My quizzical mind kicked in. "Then why are we here?"

"I have my reasons." She said with a secretive smile, turning to walk along the cliff's edge.

I followed her, still slightly uncomfortably. She had said that She wouldn't ask, but soon we would be at that site, and the site itself wasn't even somewhere I would have wanted to go. Not without the answer.

She turned on me, the rare display of anger evident on Her young face for a moment. The steel evident in Her voice. "And why not? What difference does that place make in the grander scheme of the lesson? Is it the grove that asks the question of you, or is it me? You can face me, but not the sacred ground I frequent on those nights? You can visit me in my deepest sleep in the grotto, in the most sacred of places but this one frightens you away?"

I just stared at Her. This too I could not answer. "I know. It is part of what you fail to learn. Now walk with me, away from the grove."

Once again She turned. Back towards the tree, but walking parrallel to the trees that trailed away from the sacred circle. She was silent once more, and I had the feeling that I was supposed to ask Her a question.

"You are such a smart one." She said, in a friendly tone with only a hint of mockery.

"I don't know what I am supposed to ask you." I admitted.

"I know." She said sadly. "If you did, then I would be able to answer, and you could give that answer back to me when I ask you again."

I didn't know how to respond, so once more I watched the flowers spring up behind Her, and the butterflies flitting around Her. I was bespelled, broken out of it by Her pure, musical laughter. Looking back to Her I saw Her smiling at me. She gestured at the flowers and butterflies.

"You have no idea how happy you make me with these." She said with a loving smile.

"What do you mean?" I asked, puzzled. "You do that."

"No I don't." She replied. "You see them because that is what you would expect to see. What you want to see. You know every aspect of me, and the aspect that you notice depends on you. You could follow me and see the death and decomposition of the plants that we trample on. You could see storm clouds following me, or any other aspect of what I am capable of. They are all here." She gestured at the flowers and the butterflies. "And so you love me. You wouldn't know by listening to you. It makes my heart warm."

I knew not what to say, and I watched Her walk away back to the grove. As the distance increased between us, I called out. "So you are telling me that my personal opinions may be blinding me to the greater argument about forgiveness?"

"A little bit." She called out.

"So forgiveness is real? Is a moral expectation?" I called out.

"No!" She called back, laughing and beginning to dance again.

"So which is it? Am I right or wrong?" I persisted.

"No!" She cried out again, dancing faster and laughing.

There was no question She was in a good mood, and as puzzled as I was by the other conversation, I wondered why.

The dancing figure had vanished into the grove, but between the trees there was a glow, and the hint of filtered moonlight. In my mind I heard Her voice, more longing in it than laughter. "Because tomorrow night is the only night of the year that you will dance with me."

Labels:

18 Comments:

Blogger Hegemon said...

If I had a god he'd be like "Here it is: Point A, point B, point C. Understand why? Good, do it." or "Allright, here's why: Lemma A, lemma B, conclusion A, hence point C. Do it." instead of fucking with my head like one of the women I'd punch for doing that.

Is it just me or does the capitalization of the H's in christianity and also apparently now with you smack of BDSM a bit?

3:39 AM  
Blogger Wanderer said...

The capitalization saves me the trouble of having to explain who I am talking to.

As for your proposed god, I will get back to this because I have a point that Emily isn't allowing me time to make.

10:49 AM  
Blogger Wanderer said...

Okay. So this god of yours comes straight forward and says, "This is the lesson I would have you learn."

In a schooling environment, what good does that do you? "The statement that 2x + 3x= 20 allows us to resolve that x = 4." Great. I know that now. If I apply myself hard enough I might even figure out why.

Your second example indicates that this teacher actually tells us why. This is a slight improvement, but again doesn't require any actual engagement of your brain. Just a larger grouping of memorized facts.

If we are led to figure it out for ourselves, this accomplishes more. It allows us to reason out not only these answers, but many other related and unrelated issues.

If you are smart enough, and the details are laid out to you as above, you can go through life without ever actually learning how to think. This in effect actually leaves more doors closed than opened.

In your case, I think your god prepares you for midterms. In my case I think the preparation is more designed for the life outside of the classroom.

12:40 PM  
Blogger Hegemon said...

I think you should re-think your argument such that it is not so easily countered by the fact that I am a genius yet I have no divine guessing games to play which are implied by your argument to be the sole source you derive critical thinking skills.

You are suggesting that since in real life I have no god to give me guessing games that I have never learned to think. It is only my high respect for you that leads me to believe you must have misspoken and that I should not drive over there and punch you in the jaw.

2:37 AM  
Blogger Hegemon said...

Yes, that is what I was saying Lisa.

What the contention seems to be is that Wanderer disagrees with us. "If you are smart enough, and the details are laid out to you as above, you can go through life without ever actually learning how to think." This is where he accuses me of never having learned to think which is why I was seriously putting on my boots last night to drive to his house and punch him in the fallopian tubes.

If you have a god and said god has rules then it is a damn midterm. If someone had a sucking chest wound would you come up to them and apply a shred of plastic over the wound, tell them to exhale, slap it down hard and tie it down tight, thus saving their lives (assuming proper medical personnel show up in a timely fashion, or would you explain the concept of airtight seals and hope they figure out for themselves what to do? In your story, you never did figure out what she meant, after all.

I also wonder in the context of this metaphor what life there is outside the classroom? To suggest that there is an appropriate compartmentalization of one's religion is a secularism of which religious minds are usually not capable. And if one's religion does comprise the rules of their existence then in what way is that not a midterm?

Children, the mentally deranged, and the spiritual do not construct worldviews or moral systems outside of the context of what their authority figure, id, or deity has laid out for them. Thus when you suggest that we construct these things for ourselves without getting the answers directly from the proctor of said test, I point out that you may not. After all, if your morals or beliefs differ from your diety's, then there exist situations such that in this situation your beliefs and your deity's beliefs differ thus making your deity wrong in your view, and most people don't actively disagree with their idols because, to use an example that's far more literal than intended, crutches only help the crippled if they're both going the same way.

11:28 AM  
Blogger Wanderer said...

In point of fact, MC, Lisa has the right of what I was saying.

It wasn't necessarily God that was teaching, but if the God existed, I posed the differences on how it might go about it's practice.

I was the genius that never learned how to think, just to make that particular point clear. Thus my basis on teaching styles and effects.

The midterm in question would be the immediate issue at hand, the "outside of the classroom" being outside this particularly defined moment of teaching.

As a god, is it not also easier to make them think a lot of this out since there are so many of them, and talking each and every one of them through every step would kind of kill the point of allowing them minds to think with?

9:11 PM  
Blogger Cindy said...

this is an interesting conversation. one of the reasons I believe as I do is that my God provides the open ended questions for those who need/desire them, as well as the closed equations for others.

1:18 PM  
Blogger Arthur Brokop II said...

I agree with Cindy, very interesting conversation indeed...as an educator, I agree with Wanderer. I don't want to spoon feed my students the answers, I want them to discover the answers for themselves, to solve the problems, to understand why not just what...ah those great "open ended" questions that give my still very concrete thinking students such a hard time.

6:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree with Cindy in that being a believer in God, I see that he leaves plenty of room for mystery and open endedness in some areas (which we always try to pry into or systematize). Some of these we cannot figure out because of our nature and some we are simply not allowed to know yet (or ever). I believe he also point blank often says this is the way it is. He may not give a reason why. I think we can learn about that which is good and right and honorable not only from the bible but in interacting with and observing each other. If in the end I am going to decide if something is true or not I try to see if there is a clear scriptural teaching about it prior to making that decision.

Sometimes in the learning environment I have to say...you know what students...we are at the point where you just have to believe that this formula works and this is how it is used and you better just memorize the facts and get on with it. Usually this occurs after they have tried to discover something on their own or partially discovered it and there is no more time allotted to that concept. Sometimes there is really no good way to discover it and the best pedagogy is to come right out and tell them what they need to learn. I think if they can learn it on their own in their own way it is internalized and remembered better.

7:03 AM  
Blogger Cindy said...

inheritor said "Sometimes in the learning environment I have to say...you know what students...we are at the point where you just have to believe that this formula works and this is how it is used and you better just memorize the facts and get on with it. "

Haha! That's the only way I got even close to making it through calculus and trig.! A good illustration. Had I been interested enough to continue with those studies (ahem), I'm sure I would have eventually understood the unerlying concepts. We use that principle all through life, and there's no reason to think it isn't also useful in religion.

Here's another comparison from school. I desperately wanted to understand physics in high school. It tore me up that some of the guys I thought were just plain stupid really got physics. I couldn't. Nothing helped. I just couldn't. Now, many many (ahem, again) years later, I'm beginning to get it. Why now and not then? I have no idea. Most other parts of my brain are failing regularly, but that one part is ready to begin to grasp a previously unattainable concept. Maybe we're all hard wired to grasp different concepts at different times. Maybe at any given time your milk is my meat and vice versa- to use biblical terminology.

So, in that, we have good reason to appreciate others who see God differently and through whom he is working - not at different speeds- but in different dimensions and directions than he does in our own.

9:36 AM  
Blogger Wanderer said...

"So, in that, we have good reason to appreciate others who see God differently and through whom he is working - not at different speeds- but in different dimensions and directions than he does in our own."

Cindy - More astonished than anything else, I have to ask. Is the late hour messing with my interpretation, or does this quote actually give me some credit?

11:16 PM  
Blogger Cindy said...

There you go making me laugh again. Careful or you might stop being scary ;-)
Honestly, steven, do you think i'd have stuck around this long if i didn't have respect for you? The fact that I don't understand everything you write doesn't mean I can't highly regard you. And I appreciate that you've always been respectful of me. Do you feel that previously I haven't "given you credit"? If so, I'm very very sorry.

11:56 PM  
Blogger Wanderer said...

No offense was intended. I am glad I made you laugh, as I was primarily joking with you. Few seem willing to imply crossing that line between respecting an individual who believes something different, and anything that might indicate that some portion of said beliefs might be correct.

It wasn't really a jab at you, as much as so many others who seem so sanitary and careful about the comments that they make, lest someone be duped into believing they actually agree with me.

10:46 PM  
Blogger Cindy said...

Not offended at all. We're good.

By the way- word verification is acting really screwy everywhere I go on blogger this week. It's not just you. For example, right now there is no image below for me to copy. I'll put in a couple of random letters, and when it comes back up there will be a word to copy.

12:43 AM  
Blogger Cindy said...

by the way- where is that line again? I keep losing track of it.

12:45 AM  
Blogger Cindy said...

if i work real hard i might come up with another thought that begins with "by the way". but then again i'm really sleepy.

12:48 AM  
Blogger Wanderer said...

Obviously you were tired, failing to note that the last comment should in fact have started with, "By the way"

;)

10:59 PM  
Blogger Arthur Brokop II said...

i'm going to reread this and all the comments in a day of two...it is still "haunting" me, a beautiful piece of prose...

1:27 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home