Monday, March 20, 2006

Ostara

And so we come upon another Sabbatt. Today is Ostara. Also referenced as Oestre (pronounced ee-ster), this is the Sabbatt celebrated on the vernal equinox. While commonly referenced as being March 21st (because it usually is) the equinox this year was today, at 1:26pm eastern standard time.

Ostara is celebrated on the day in spring when the day and night are equal. It is the marking of the beginning of spring, and it is when the Goddess truly awakens and joins us once more. It is a celebration of new life and the coming warmth of spring and summer. (An important thing to remember as the temperature here is presently 28 degrees and there is snow on the ground.)

Commonly this is a day to be spent outside (if possible) in appreciation of the burgeoning growth. Foods for this day tend to lean toward vegetation. Those plants suitable for consumption that are already growing in these early times. Dandelion salad and dandelion wine are big things for this holiday.

It is a day for rejoicing, as the Goddess joins us in our celebrations and dances with us in the joy of the awakening planet. For myself, I am taking the time to reflect on these things, and plan my little celebration this evening with my wife and daughter, so I will not expound at great length at this time. Especially since perfectly qualified people have already done so. For a more lengthy and in depth look at the practice, feel free to look here.

And thus concludes this meager Sabbatt introduction. You may return to your life, or something close to it.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Ostara! I hope your celebration went well!

9:51 PM  
Blogger Wanderer said...

Thank you. :)

I had considered wishing you the same when I was on your site earlier, but I rarely do so for the Sabbatts on any site that isn't mentioning them. Something odd about commenting with such on a post that has nothing to do with my well wishes.

I hope that the growth that this holiday promises reflects on all aspects of your life as well.

1:16 AM  
Blogger Hegemon said...

I hope the growth of this holiday reflects on my damn chipstack. I just dropped to 3rd of 481 from first.. stupid quad deuces...

2:07 AM  
Blogger Grey Owl said...

I actually felt like eating lots of salad yesterday. Which is odd, because I'm a carnivore if there ever was one.

Thanks for the update, Wanderer. Hope this spring treats you and your well.

Cheers,

Grey Owl

6:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home