Tuesday, March 14, 2006

The Storm Moon

The Storm Moon will be rising over Rochester, NY at 6:09 pm and becoming full 26 minutes later. (6:35pm) It will set tomorrow morning at 6:41am.

In Shiprock, NM you are looking at a moon rise time of approximately 6:18pm, one hour and 43 minutes after it becomes full at 4:35pm. It will set at approximately 6:44am tomorrow.

The Storm moon comes at a time when there is a significant changing of the seasons again. The last storms of winter come through and make way for spring. While spring is often thought of as a gentle time, spring has storms of its own. We know more now about the differing pressure systems and their impacts on each other as the seasons change, but there was a time where such knowledge wasn't so technical. It was just known that around the time of this moon, the storms that came with the changing of the seasons could be expected. This moon was also known as the Worm Moon, for similar reasons, as these storms softened the land and the worms returned, at least visibly so.

Just a couple of moon facts for your life, or something close to it.

3 Comments:

Blogger Arthur Brokop II said...

it was beautiful, setting behind the mountain in my back yard this morning.
fyi and i'd like your opinion, on the sight I link to "no comment allowed" which is really called Slice of Laodocia ( I disagree with almost everything there) is a piece on Feminsit theology, about a church called "her church". There is a short video piece that is interesting.
I didn't like it really, because I think we need to be either/or...what do you think?

7:15 PM  
Blogger Wanderer said...

I will look at it, probably tomorrow. It is too late in the evening now, and having put the baby down I am taking a rare bit of quiet time with my wife.

Not that I assume you would rush me into it, just that who knows what tomorrow will bring, so I will let you know now that I will comment on it when I do get the opportunity in the next few days to take a look.

11:06 PM  
Blogger Arthur Brokop II said...

no hurry...
it actually made me kind of uncomfortable.

12:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home