Friday, December 23, 2005

What Makes Language Inappropriate?

Since this question has come up again, and this time in the comments section of one of my posts, I figure it is about time to address this issue again. I was otiginally going to comment in MC's defense and then realized that the comment was going to be too long and I decided to post instead.

While I have heard it intimated that "foul language" implies and inability to get one's point across in another manner, I have not often found this to be the case. While such language is common amongst those of lesser verbal capabilities, it can also be found at any educational level. Let's address why.

First, the question. What makes this language inappropriate? Why do certain words get designated as ones that shouldn't be used? The exist and they refer to something, don't they? The fact that an appropriate synonym can be used points not to a flaw in the speaker but a flaw in the listener who is complaining. Why is it that you can reference making love or copulation but it is inappropriate to reference two people fucking? (I realize that this doesn't address using the word outside of it's literal meaning for invective, but I will get to that in a second.) When someone comes over and accuses my parents dog of "taking a dump" on their lawn, my initial reaction was that this person was uneducated, since I haven't heard that phrase since high school. Then again, they may just have been using polite metaphor for the dog shit they claimed was our fault. Why again is the euphemism (and a rather stupid one at that) is acceptable but a perfectly good word that describes it isn't?

Of course there are those who will specifically use the words as invective or to be insulting. In this case, I can understand someone taking offense to the tone of the message, but I don't see that the individual words they used were at fault, since the euphemisms they might choose would be equally insulting.

In some environments others like MC and I are rather used to such language even on a casual basis. We fail to have such superficial fear of certain precise combinations of letters. Remember, as intelligent as he may be, MC swears like a soldier. I can't quite put my finger on it, but I think there might be a reason I can relate to for that.

Well I don't understand the prejudice against certain words for their own sake, I do know that it offends some people. As such I don't use this language on other people's blogs, and tend to steer away from it in environments I am not certain of. As a general rule, though, when in my own home my language and language allowed by others is my choice. (On my blog, I think the home clause applies.)

It is quite possible someone may say something that offends me. If they do I will address the issue, but I doubt the actual words used will be the reason. Especially since MC makes a point. Whether you like it or not, "I really don't care" and "I don't give a fuck" bear different meanings. The word used implies a forcefulness that would take paragraphs to address otherwise. Some of you may not agree with my stance on the subject, but it is my blog, and that's just life (or something close to it).

3 Comments:

Blogger Grey Owl said...

Another euphamism I've always gotten a kick out of is "going to the bathroom." No, I'm not going to bathe, I'm going to urinate and defecate in a porcelin bowl, thank you very much.

I think you're making a really good point, wanderer. and the fact is, there are some things that offend me about language. Words like fuck and shit aren't in that, though - calling a woman a slut or whore (assuming that she is not, in fact, a prostitute) I find to be very offensive and degrading. MC's word's about Jesus in your last post did in fact offend me - but I have to assume that he wasn't trying to personally offend me in particular, and he was just airing his thoughts. I think that since this is not my blog and is, in fact, his, I have to be the one to "roll with it" and look past what I am offended by. I've found him to be an intelligent and articulate person (when he commented on my blog no bars of soap were needed), and for me to write off his use of "colourful metaphors" (as spock would say) as a result of low intelligence would be an insult.

When I work with teens, I try to discourage "foul" language from them. But if I'm listening to a kid pour his heart out about his parents' divorce and he says, "I hate my dad so fucking much," I'm not going to jump in and say, "Now hang on there, Johnny, that was a naughty word, and God is very annoyed with you." That would be inappropriate for me to do so - but I'm taking up lots of space.

1:14 PM  
Blogger Arthur Brokop II said...

oooooh, Grey Owl said "fuck and shit", I'm telling....
ok, I gotta tell this story, just so you don't think I'm a totally out of touch grouchy grandma -
when I was a good little catholic girl going to an all girl catholic high school, i was called on to give an impromtu speech in my communications class. I decided, on the spur of the moment to speak on something i had seen on the city bus on the way to school. There was a poster for the Marines, and someone defaced it with a "colorful metaphor"
So I got up infront of Sister Somebody, and a group of pseudo innocent young ladies and lamented how deeply it affected me to see the words "Fuck the USA" written across the face of that brave service man. (this was ofcourse during the viet nam conflict). Yep, I actually said Fuck in Saint Agnes High School, and the rest of the class was spend discussing whether or not my speech would have been as effective if I had not actually said THE WORD...
I don't like seeing the words F#%@ and Jesus in the same sentence. And I hated the fact that MC used that sort of language on my pretty pink blog, but actually my hubby and I do often...never mind...Merry Christmas!

1:22 PM  
Blogger Wanderer said...

While I am not one, as I have said, to complain about language used, nor am I one to complain about disagreements over relgion, I do have to step up and also disagree with the statement MC. I have promised, in association with the organization that ordained me, not to demean other religion or people for practicing them. Also implied is a defense from those who will.

This not to be confused with disagreement or honest representation of your point of view. It is when the comments turn offensive beyond the point of getting anything valuable across in the discussion that I must object. Please keep the "Fuck (insert God or other religious icon's name)" out of your dealings with the others out here. It is one phrase, which at this point leaves a lot of license for your opinion to get across.

2:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home