Wednesday, August 09, 2006

Corn Moon

The Corn Moon became full at 6:53am EDT on August 9th, but did not rise over Rochester until 8:53pm EDT. It will set at 7:25am EDT.

It rose over Farmington, NM at 8:45 pm MDT and will set at 7:44am MDT on August 10th.

The Corn Moon derives its name from the harvest season for the plant in question, somewhat thrown off one way or the other depending on your region. As such, this moon has little in relationship to religious circumstances, and more in tune with simple natural issues at hand.

When I come back to this shortly, as I presume I will, I will add the information of upcoming moon cycles and etc... For now I am just going to go to bed.

There you have your moon data in regards to this moment in life, or something close to it.

5 Comments:

Blogger Arthur Brokop II said...

thank you again for the moonie updates...it didn't look full this morning, the 10th, more like an egg. Corn Moon is an interesting name. What was it called, I wonder, before corn was brought to Europe by the first explorers? Hey, if I hurry, I can watch it set.

8:58 AM  
Blogger Hegemon said...

Haha.. that's exactly the kind of thing I'm always talking about.

Like imagine me saying "Thousands of years of history, eh?" in the same way as that commercial goes "Ancient Chinese secret, eh?" when they find the bottle of Calgon.

4:33 PM  
Blogger Wanderer said...

Except it misses its mark slightly, MC. Not just because I have never claimed to put a date to the antiquity of these names, just sharing some mythology surrounding them. Second, the word corn didn't always refer to the yellow kernels. It was orginally a term used in reference to wheat, which actually much better aligns with this moon than the food we know of now.

I do reiterate, these names aren't supposed to by mythical power names granted by the Tuatha Da'naan (I am too tired to make sure I spelled that right.) or the Lemurians. Hell, they aren't even really religiously oriented. These are folk names given by folk to the moons.

9:58 PM  
Blogger Hegemon said...

Don't bring my ancestors into this (the Tuatha Da Danan). Their religion was nothing like yours. They believed that each of them individually were gods.

4:25 AM  
Blogger Wanderer said...

I know this. This has nothing to do with what I was saying though.

9:16 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home