Thursday, August 03, 2006

Interesting Thoughts On An Execution

There was a bit of discussion on a number of Pagan blogs in regards to the execution of Michael Lenz for the murder of a fellow inmate. I will confess I only did peripheral research on the case itself, as he had already been executed by the time I saw it, and the case itself wasn't what interested me. It was the conversation about it.

There were the usual (and relatively valid) concerns about the religion of Asatru and Pagan religions in general being dragged through the mud in the reporting of this case. There was speculation as to how the bid for clemency from a Pagan would be answered by a Catholic Governor. There was consideration about how to weigh the question of support for clemency of a fellow Pagan against punishment for a heinous crime.

This last bit stirred up memories of many other cases where I witnessed similar thought processes being brought up. Loyalty. Supporting clemency for a fellow Pagan? Because they are a Pagan? This makes no sense. Are we supposed to be so fiercely loyal then? We have laws for a reason, but anyone who fits into the same, very broad, group of religions as we do is to be automatically exempted from these laws?

Now I will be the first to agree that there are many Pagan issues we should all band together on. The headstone campaign. Discrimination issues. These are things we should definitely support our fellow Pagans on. The right to murder another inmate? I think that would be a stretch if it actually fit into the tenets of his religion. Moreso since it doesn't.

Perhaps this is one reason why it is good that as a whole, we Pagans are a highly disorganized lot. It would keep us from looking a lot more foolish if we staged rallies for things like this. Then again, maybe things like the above mentioned headstone campaign might not take so long to accomplish if we had some larger organized entity. After all, when some one or few Pagans get some crazy idea in their head to march on Washington to make Beltane a federal holiday, nobody really notices. When some one or few Christians get it in their head to ammend the constitution to interfere with the personal lives of people whose relationships don't affect them in the slightest....

I would like to end by pointing out that, if you read the post within which the support of a fellow Pagan was mentioned, you will see that there is no clear evidence of the thought process I am arguing against here. It simply reminded me of the question, and I thought: Wouldn't it be great if I had some kind of forum through which I could voice whatever thoughts came to mind?

Just some early morning reflections on life, or something close to it.

8 Comments:

Blogger Hegemon said...

How does it make any difference at all what religion he is?

You said that it's a stretch even if it's his religion but moreso since it isn't. I would argue it's a stretch exactly as far in either sense.

Religion < law of the land.

7:18 AM  
Blogger Cindy said...

"Wouldn't it be great if I had some kind of forum through which I could voice whatever thoughts came to mind?"

Ummm.... isn't that what this is- or am I missing something?

10:24 AM  
Blogger peppylady (Dora) said...

I'm looking to attend some pagan coven. But I've never real though of "Perhaps this is one reason why it is good that as a whole, we Pagans are a highly disorganized lot." Maybe I don't want to be put in to a certain catagory.
Anyhow this blogg gave me ideal for a new topic on loyality.

4:51 PM  
Blogger Hegemon said...

Do your particular microcosm of the billions of pagans even have covens?

8:18 PM  
Blogger Wanderer said...

MC - I meant it only in the extent that while the action was reprehensible I could see the connection to the fact that he was a Pagan. Not that this would in any way exonerate him.

In effect, in the one case the fact that he is Pagan is something of note, as it had bearing on what he did. As such, it would also have bearing on the larger Pagan community and their appearance. In the other, there is no more reason to identify with him than for you and I to do so because he is male.

11:14 PM  
Blogger Wanderer said...

Cindy - "Ummm.... isn't that what this is- or am I missing something?"

Only that I was being sarcastic.

PeppyLady - Don't get me wrong, I am not saying that organization isn't a good thing. It was just a (somewhat accurate) tongue in cheek assessment of political circumstances. I don't discourage people from joining groups such as covens, just warn them to be wary if they do. Further, my reference to organization was on a much grander scale than that.

MC - Depending on how "micro" you get with the dividing lines, we might arrive at a path of one. At least as far as I am aware. If we don't get that drastic about it, however, then the answer is yes we do.

11:49 PM  
Blogger omelas said...

Something that might be interesting would be a Consumer Report site for covens and groups. WitchVox is good and all to list people, but all you get is what people are willing to say about themselves. It could get a little hairy. Still at least you would have some forwarning that there was some controversy around one group or another.

I would also like to voice support of the idea that pagans should get out more. Looking over the case, I think that stray groups like the Asatru group those involved belong to might occur less if more groups existed, which would enable things like prison outreach to be far more possible. Myself, I think that membership shows a better level of devotion than hideaways.

Thanks for the nod.

Cheers!!

5:19 PM  
Blogger Wanderer said...

Olive - "Myself, I think that membership shows a better level of devotion than hideaways."

To an extent I disagree with this. At least as far as the two being directly related. For me, I think a greater show of devotion would be learning to dance, rather than just being with those who do. Covens are not for everyone.

I agree that we should get out more, and network more if only for the few points where there is a reason why that support would be useful. Such as the headstone campaign and the prison outreach, and chaplaincy issues. This doesn't require covens, though. In fact, I think it important that it would have to involve the intentionally solitary, such as myself. There is the rub, though. With no structure, cohesion easily erodes. The solution? I have no idea. But I am working on it.

9:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home