Sunday, December 11, 2005

Reflections On A Man

When I left work Friday afternoon, I stopped in a bar across the street from where I work to grab a beer before I headed home. I sat, chatted with the bartender, drank my beer, and then left to go catch my bus.

I was slow in getting downtown to the bus stop and arrived in time to see my bus pull away. The next one wouldn't be coming for twenty minutes. Fortunately there was something to do to pass the time. Just down the street from the bus stop was a familiar news truck, with a familiar driver. My father.

I went and chatted with him for a while to pass the time as I waited for the bus, and he waited for anything of note to happen with the standoff in the Salvation Army building a block away. Some volunteer was holding another woman hostage. So we talked for a few minutes until it was time for me to catch the next bus and head home.

When the bus got to Dewey Avenue we pulled up alongside the bus that I would normally have taken and picked a few people up. The rest of the riders were standing around and talking to the police. From our new passengers we learned that a fight had broken out on the bus and someone had been stabbed. This on the bus that I take home from work almost every day. Except I missed it today. Divine intervention? Probably not, unless alcoholism counts. Still, the timing was fortunate.

Later on in the evening I went to the store to buy a case of beer and some cigarettes while the baby was napping and my mother was still up to listen for her. When I got to the store, a man entered behind me, with one hand in his coat pocket and stood off to the side. He kept pacing and looking at the counter, and then looking out the door.

I watched his behavior for a moment or two and came to the conclusion that he was probably planning on holding up the place and that he was just waiting for a couple of the customers to get out of the way so that there were less people to worry about. I was just preparing to tell the cashier that she should probably call the police when the man left and drove away.

Both of these incidents are somewhat lacking in anything remarkable, but I have been focusing on them both for the last couple of days due to my reaction to them. I was thankful I wasn't on the bus when the fight broke out and one of the men got shoved into a pregnant woman (relayed from witnesses) and was subsequently stabbed. Primarily because the fact that I would be unlikely to sit by after the pregnant woman became involved, and the result could likely have been me being stabbed.

I was thankful the man didn't pull a gun or other weapon and try to hold the store up for similar reasons. When I thought the man had a gun I started processing various potential scenarios, and they all revolved around the concept that I was going to get hurt. That was one of the given assumptions. It has bothered me since then to realize that my instinctive reaction had nothing to do with standing back, leaving the store or just doing as I was told. Convenience stores get robbed without anyone being hurt all the time. These thoughts didn't come into my mind. I instantly assumed I would react, and in doing so I would probably get hurt.

Now obviously nobody knows how they would react in a situation until they are faced with it. Still it concerns me slightly, knowing I have a wife and daughter to care for, that when I am certain I am facing a dangerous situation the thought of compliance or playing it safe didn't cross my mind. If my actions in such a situation would turn out to follow my instincts pre-violence, I must say that this would be a good way to shorten my life, or something close to it.

24 Comments:

Blogger wellis68 said...

When would you say it's ok to react to certain siuations. If you just left the store, how would you feel knowing that you left people behind to deal with a difficult situation when you might have been able to help.

I don't disagree with you... I'm just curious what you think?

5:42 PM  
Blogger Wanderer said...

I am not questioning the fact that I was willing to act. As I indicated, I prepared to warn the folks in the store of the problem. My question is, if the situation went down pre-warning, what does one do? I could stand by and let it happen, but my instinct seems to tell me that I would react to prevent the robbery as opposed to being the "frightened spectator" that would be likely to fare better.

Bear in mind that my instinctive reaction increases the danger to all others involved too, so this isn't a hero supposition.

10:47 PM  
Blogger Hegemon said...

See, to me, I have no stake in the store. I don't even know anyone in it. What business do I have with it? I don't really need a reason to fight as much as an excuse to, but here it's a matter of me risking getting shot over a store that I don't own or care about between a bunch of people who can all go fuck themselves for all I care. I'd buy my cigarettes and then go abgout fifty yards down the sidewalk, turn back, and look to see whether I got a show or not.

2:05 AM  
Blogger Hegemon said...

PS I've been sitting here watching Wanderer try to play Rampart, the old Midway arcade game. He's the balls low at this game, and it makes me think that if he created two sock puppets and played with them on his hands, he'd do better because there's no way the sock puppets are worse than him at this game.

2:09 AM  
Blogger Wanderer said...

Which is fine since he is too busy shooting the little invading forces to realize that two dozen ships coming in, completely ignored by him, are bad for the end game.

2:18 AM  
Blogger Hegemon said...

The two dozen ships don't prevent me from rebulding my walls and staying alive, unlike the six ground force guys that clogged your hole and made you lose the entire game.

Ok, now he's playing Tapper, and has yet to get past the second level. I had 17,000 points or something in my run at it, he has 5,000 and only one life left.

2:25 AM  
Blogger Wanderer said...

Yeah, so says the guys who got to the second level of rampart while I was on level three. I bow to his experience.

(So I don't do the beer service thing so great, I think I already indicated I do better on the consumer end of that category.)

2:27 AM  
Blogger Wanderer said...

BTW - Klax is not a viable competitive game. It is excelled at by the mentally deficient and highly unsexed. What was your score this time MC?

2:28 AM  
Blogger Hegemon said...

First of all, Klax has been the test of manhood and true championship for hundreds of generations. Few know the War of the Roses was decided by a Klax game. On a wood-burning Sega Genesis. But anyways, I lost in the third level or something like that, so apparently my acuity and promiscuity remain uninsulted.

As a matter of fact, I think you're beating em right now. It's odd that I type that instead of saying it because you won't read this until you're done, but by then it'll probably be true, which it isn't right now.

2:32 AM  
Blogger Wanderer said...

Okay, so I did beat you, but then again, by your claim of the history of the test of manhood, I am way ahead of the game in comparison to you.

On the other hand, as to the Klax evidence above hinted at as to sexual fulfillment, I have to point out that I have a three month old daughter. Obviously I am undersexed, and thus Klax-ing works for now.

2:39 AM  
Blogger Hegemon said...

Wow. You SUCK at Joust. Right now, one of the boats from Rampart is actually just off-screen directing the buzzards how best to attack you. They're coming in what I call the "Dick Butkus" maneuver, and it'll totally crush your paltry ostrich.

Also did anyone ever tell you your kid has my eyes?

2:43 AM  
Blogger Hegemon said...

Actually cancel that I just remembered I think she has blue eyes.. so.. um.. Did anyone tell you Martha's an undercover albino and your kid has my ears?

2:43 AM  
Blogger Wanderer said...

For the record, I beat him at joust. Have any of your started wondering why he and I are arguing on line over this when we are right next to each other? Other than the fact that he is a Joust-deficient individual with a serious jonesing for the ideal of being me?

2:45 AM  
Blogger Hegemon said...

OK Just to recap; I beat you like FIVE TIMES IN A ROW at heads-up Rampart. By a margin about as wide as your mother's sperm dumpster, too.You may or may not have beaten me at campaign-mode Rampart; that was before we started competing. I crushed you at Tapper, you edged me out at Klax and Joust. And you need to score 700 more points at RoadBlasters or else you'll lose at that too.

(a few seconds later) Fuck you.

2:52 AM  
Blogger Wanderer said...

700? Try 3700 points buddy. Besides, it only counts when I win, so bite me. Pick a game you can beat me at, I'm on fire.

(BTW my verification word is "uhrolk" it is trying so hard to say "You rock", even it knows I am the man.)

2:55 AM  
Blogger Hegemon said...

You have become a congenital postage stamp for sucktastic nonfuckage.

3:53 AM  
Blogger Seraphim said...

You say:

"Divine intervention? Probably not, unless alcoholism counts. Still, the timing was fortunate."

well She can only use the tools you give her, even if they are a desire to consume intoxicants...

lol

LYB

I'shalom

Seraphim

11:29 AM  
Blogger Hegemon said...

It's not a god that makes him want to drink; it's that he sucks SO MUCH at video games, he must forget.

4:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey it's your good friend here again just checking up on all of the intelligent conversation going on in here. Wow that point about joust is just so intelligent, much more so than my correcting your disney movie mistake. Well i can't wait until i graduate from high school and college and get to be serious and intelligent like you two.

4:13 PM  
Blogger Wanderer said...

Welcome back to the party, genius. It's great to here from you. Now go crawl back under that rock.

4:50 PM  
Blogger Wanderer said...

Yes, I spelled hear incorrectly. Quick, make with the happy dance.

4:51 PM  
Blogger Hegemon said...

For the love of Pesci, do we have to deal with children every step of the way?

You know you're not wanted here. This is the grown up table. Go suck a Chinese dick for pennies on the dollar.

Does your mom know you're up?

Maybe if you'd had any friends, you might have some insight into the way old friends socialize. Until you get a friend, though, I wish you and that sock puppet all the best. Just think, now Socko will be there to watch Disney movies with you all day!

6:01 PM  
Blogger Seraphim said...

i never said the god(dess) makes him drink, just that (s)he uses the tools that we give Deity...

btw what is Joust?

6:30 PM  
Blogger Hegemon said...

Joust is the ultimate contest between two alpha males seeking to prove dominance. It is a time-honored tradition that has its roots in medieval Europe. Every young man whether he knows it or not trains for Joust most of his life, for one day he will pick up the controller and try to guide his flying-ostrich-riding knight into the top part of the buzzard knights that fly around, and cause that buzzard to become an eggw hich you have to fly into to pick up before it becomes another buzzard. I think you can run into their rears too without having to be over them but I'm not sure. My high score ever for Joust is like 60,000 or so. But in all seriousness it's an arcade game from the early 80s.

6:06 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home