Sunday, December 04, 2005

A lazy day

Not much to do today. Just lounging about with my daughter. Well, right now she is asleep, so I am hanging out at the computer.

I have been doing a lot of thinking about what I might post about when I got around to it. Unfortunately I never get around to it, and have forgotten much of what I was going to post about. Only one comes to mind right now.

I was holding Emily the other day and feeding her, and she had her head back so that she could look at me while she ate. I love it when she does that. It makes me wonder what, if anything, she is thinking. In this particular case, though, I looked away for a moment and then looked back to find her still staring at me, but there was a single tear on her cheek.

I just sat and stared at it for a moment as it slowly made it's way down her face. She was still smiling, so I am sure it was just a reaction to the light, or some dust or something, but it was one of the most amazing things that I have ever seen.

At this point I have dealt with her many times when she was screaming, crying or laughing. There have never been any actual tears, though. The presence of this one little drop of water was something unique. Something special. Something I was in awe of.

I realized at that moment that the sight was one I would probably treasure in memory for some time. I also realized that this was probably the only time that I would smile at the sight. Even as I looked on, I realized that I would do anything to prevent having to see those tears be real. To see her cry because she hurt.

She must know I am thinking about her. She is waking up as I write this. I can hear her talking to herself in the other room. Time to get her and feed her again. I would spend more time talking about her, but I would rather hang out with her. That's just life, or something close to it.

4 Comments:

Blogger Cindy said...

you paint a beautiful picture of your time with, and love for emily, wanderer. thanks for putting it out there.

11:02 PM  
Blogger Grey Owl said...

Sounds like the words of a good dad. How old is she?

2:06 PM  
Blogger Wanderer said...

She is a little over three months old. She was born August 24th of this year. If you scroll back in the archives, there is some detail about that night, complete with unintentionally leaving MC out of the story despite his important role. (He's the one that actually gave birth.)

4:53 PM  
Blogger Kim said...

This is a beautiful post, Wanderer. You have a great gift for writing. You captured this moment perfectly, and I imagine this will keep it alive for you forever.

2:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home