Sunday, August 10, 2008

Further Issues With Jerks and Morons

Yes, I am going to still complain about stupid people and stupid things they say on the phone, so my anonymous friend, you may want to cover your eyes.

Some of you people out there will be assholes to my operators, because you feel that you have the right to do so. It isn't even a question of tempers either, I know that you think you can do so because my operators have to take it. Its their job. You couldn't be more wrong.

You see, my operators are not payed to put up with your shit. They are not payed to get yelled at. They are not paid to be abused by you. They are paid to facilitate your communication with the emergency personnell you are looking to reach to fix a problem that you are facing.

Unfortunately our society is very well versed in "the customer is always right" kind of business dealings. We also as a society tend to hype up in our own minds of our superiority over folks who are in any position of servitude, such as customer service implies.

In regards to my operators, though, there are a couple of things you should probably remember. First and foremost, you are not our customer, so even that "customer is always right" mentality doesn't apply as well here. The company you are trying to reach is our customer. So if they give us the rules they want to play by, no amount of bullying on your part will get us to do differently.

So here is the thing. If you haven't figured it out yet, I am not quite your placating, customer is always right kind of supervisor. I will do my best to see to the needs of both the caller and our client so everybody is a winner. That is my job. However, there is one thing I won't stand for. You don't abuse my operators.

Ask anybody who has ever been abused by a caller when I was on duty and you will find out that this caller learned that if they don't play nice, neither do I. I just wish that more people played that way. Too many managers are too worried about losing precious business if they don't cow down to the customer. Now I am not knocking the concept that you bend over backwards for a customer, but if your loyalty is more to their dollar than to the people who work for you, something is screwed up there.

If more people showed loyalty to their own in the business world, you would have less of these assholes abusing people who are trying to do their job. But until more people see the wisdom of this, all I can say is that the assholes in Rochester are getting the short end of the stick.

Just some thoughts about phone etiquette in this life, or something close to it.

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Asshole customers deserve no mercy! I can be very patient and generous with people who are distracted, confused, or otherwise not on top of their game when dealing with me, but a selfish jerk should only be treated in kind.

9:58 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home