Monday, October 22, 2007

A White Wolf Describes His Spiritual Position

I was asked for a brief description of my spiritual beliefs to attach to a post about a topic I started here that will be presented on another blog. (See Thoughts on Prayer post) My response turned out to not be too brief, so I decided to post it instead.

My spiritual path is in fact precisely that. Mine. That is not a "back off" or "mind your own business" statement. Just simply pointing out that the path of the White Wolf at this point has a population of one. Pagan is a term that I quite often use for myself. It is accurate, if not complete. For simplicity's sake I have referred to myself as "basically Wiccan". It gives a more complete picture to those who know the Wiccan faith, but in many ways it is not accurate.

To remove the pretty titles and phrases that strike a chord with people who are familiar with them, I would say the simplest description of myself would be a Goddess worshipper. An arrogantly monotheistic one at that. Somewhat unusual amongst Pagans, but this does not cause me to be aggressive with other religions since I hold to the belief that all of the "gods" that are being worshipped by others are actually manifestations of Herself, and that She doesn't care all that much what people think Her name is.

The Pagan part applies, since mine is an earth based religion. The "basically Wiccan" part applies because nearly all of their spiritual tenets do coincide with what the Goddess Herself has told me. It is just some of their practices I don't share. (With no insult intended to those who do.) Goddess worship fairly applies, although I don't always respond to Her in such a worshipful tone as evidenced in my Mother posts.

So those three terms would probably cover it well enough for a short reference to me. The remaining paragraphs come closer to the question at least, if not the answer. I would love to package it better, but it certainly isn't a simple subject. And that's just life, or something close to it.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Cindy said...

steve i think you packaged it very well.

people who can summarize their faiths with a concise, easily digested formula scare me.

i appreciate your honesty.

7:23 PM  
Blogger Erin said...

Thanks Steve. I didn't want to misrepresent you by describing your beliefs as "Pagan", "Wiccan" or "Goddess worshiper" (those were precisely the three terms I had in mind) because I know no one likes to have assumptions made about their beliefs. So I thought I'd ask to be sure.

And I agree with Cindy on all counts.

9:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home