Thursday, July 12, 2007

Priorities

A fight broke out on a lawn up the street several weeks ago at about 11pm. The police were called. I saw the cops swing by for a moment around 3am, after the neighborhood had long since policed itself.

A woman smashed a lamp on the hood of another person's SUV and that person called the police. 8am the following day the police came around to ask me what I knew about the altercation.

A dog attacked my father and his dog around 5pm yesterday. I had to chase it away multiple times until my father finally got his dog home. During this time the dog also bit someone who called the police. When they showed up around 10, nobody knew where the dog was.

The kids in the neighborhood play basketball in the street, using a hoop that sits against the curb. When cars come, the kids get out of the way and let them pass. A driver today stopped even though they were out of his way and yelled at the kids who told him to get a life. The cops showed up within the hour to deal with this neighborhood menace.

It kinda has me confused about the priorities in life, or something close to it.

Labels: , ,

6 Comments:

Blogger Hegemon said...

To say absolutely nothing about the fact that half of the city schools are failing, there's been 60 homicides in this city so far this year, the cocaine/weapons trade has never been more prosperous, but the police are still spending their time and resources trying to make sure lap dancers don't touch the john, nobody plays poker, and 20-somethings can't buy weed.

Apparently homicide, gun running, and urban decay are less of a plague on society than consenting adults having fun.

9:00 PM  
Blogger Wanderer said...

Can't forget lawmakers. Banning the sale of tobacco on state fairgrounds for the sake of public health, but not banning smoking on the same grounds.

Oh, and for your weed comment. Nowhere near the health damages as the cigarettes I smoke, (you know the story of our mutual friend whose doctor told him if he had to quit one, quite the tobacco) yet I can walk one block to a store where I can legally buy a hallucinagenic that would eventually seriously screw my brain up.

Politics, like religion, are the most screwed up by the fact that they are placed in the hands of man.

(By the way, has Briska left you alone yet?)

2:41 AM  
Blogger Cindy said...

good to see you again, STeve! I was actually going to email you today to ask how you're doing.

8:23 AM  
Blogger Wanderer said...

Thanks, Cindy. I am actually starting to come out of the fog. You are likely to see more of me again now. Glad you waited out my mood.

3:03 PM  
Blogger Hegemon said...

Yes, I haven't heard from her since she explained why she kept coming to me instead of you.

4:06 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Steve! I'm sorry i missed this earlier. I hope your dad and Simba are ok...

1:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home