Thursday, December 21, 2006

Yule

A year ago today I wrote about the winter solstice. Within the next day or two I may write about it again, but in case I don't, or am delayed, here is what I said.

Since I had this debate earlier with a few folks, I will throw this little thing out about today. Many of your calendars list tomorrow as the first day of winter, something that generally coincides with this Solstice. The reason the two don't coincide this year is the percentage of time in question. Tomorrow is listed as the first day of winter because the Solstice occurs today at 7:22 pm EST. Thus the 22nd qualifies as the first full day of winter.

For those of you who want to see something new, that is life, or something close to it.

5 Comments:

Blogger funfox8177 said...

Sorry.. I am such a forgetful soul. I was going to text you on the way to babysit and ask you if Yule was on Thursday since the start of winter was at 7:22 that night or if Yule was Friday. I decided to wait until I got there so I wasnt texting and driving and low and behold I remembered in time to check the blog and see that I should have wished you a happy yule Thursday and I am behind but I did remember it just missed by a day due to confusion on my part.. I am trying.

12:50 AM  
Blogger Hegemon said...

I made you a nice Yule log, but I don't think you want it.

7:24 AM  
Blogger Turtleheart said...

Hope you had a blessed Yule!

2:24 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I enjoyed reading this, since I read about the sixty or so Pagans who marched to Stonehenge to observe the solstice on the wrong day :)

For Funfox, Yule is technically 12 days after the Winter Soltice...the solstice begins the Yule tide, which ends on Yule :)

Nice blog you've got here :)

10:55 AM  
Blogger Wanderer said...

Bernulf. Interesting comment on the twelve day gap until Yule. I would be interested in knowing the basis of this representation, as you are the first I have heard assert this. All Pagan authors I have read and the many practicing Pagans I know operate under the premise that the Solstice and Yule are the same. Can you quote your source to the contrary?

1:16 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home