Sunday, June 25, 2006

Chuck E. Cheese Heroics

After my last posting my wife, daughter and I joined the rest of the family in going to Chuck E. Cheese to celebrate my niece's birthday. Not necessarily the most exciting way that I would have chosen to spend the evening, but we make such sacrifices for family.

Of course some of my niece's friends were there, and she is at that age (eight years) where you can count on some really annoying drama. Particularly when one of the friends is a year or two older.

This particular friend convinced her to hand over some of the tickets she had won at the games so that they could get a cool toy that they could "share". We became aware of this when this girl had expended her allotted tokens and was trying to get more from Tessa to use toward this goal.

My sister (Tessa's mother) explained to her that the friend had already spent her own tokens and was just trying to trick her out of her own, and this is when we learned of the "sharing" plan. My sister was quick to point out that the friend would simply use the tickets toward her own end, which upset the birthday girl who declared that she suspected that the other girl was doing so as we spoke.

Now, I decided to leave the straightening out of the shenannigans to the respective parents and took my last dollar over to the token machine to acquire my own tokens, with which to play skeeball. Four tokens later, I returned with thirty tickets to replace the lost five and save the day for our grieving guest of honor. As it turns out, they had caught the perpetrator in the mean time and the five tickets had already been returned. Not that my addition to her ticket volume went unappreciated.

In the end, my niece had acquired forty four tickets and with my thirty she was able to purchase a defective whoopie cushion. So all are happy now. She is happy with her new toy, we are happy that it doesn't actually work, something that hasn't seemed to bother her yet.

So there you have the story of how great a hero I am. Now go forth and be heroic in your own life, or something close to it.

7 Comments:

Blogger Hegemon said...

Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't blind retarded lemurs with one arm typically get fifty tickets from a buck's worth of skeeball?

When I was a kid, World War 2 had just finished and skeeball was the big thing, we formed a professional skeeball circuit, and I remember the championships were in Trenton NJ in 1948, I went with this guy called Kitchy, from Canada. We were arguing all down the country roads towards Trenton about who would do better, and he went first and got 90 tickets, so the pressure was on but I made a great bankshot ito the 1000 cup on my first ball and that got it going, I wound up with 110 tickets, but I lost in the finals to a young Larry King.

12:05 AM  
Blogger Nichole said...

Ah, Chuck E. Cheese. Good times. Dare I mention I myself am young enough to have had my own birthday party at Chuck E. Cheese? And I have video footage to prove it...back then there was no huge TV with images of the characters...they were actual animatronic creatures on a stage!

Also, my husband and I were stranded last year due to 2 flat tires in a town we had never been to. The closest place to go for food within walking distance of our hotel happened to be Chuck E. Cheese. We ordered pizza which came with some free tokens. I think we won over 100, and gave them to the youngest, most unskilled kid there that day. And we did feel like heroes!

2:44 AM  
Blogger Hegemon said...

I later beat that kid up and took his tickets. It was easy because I was 20 an he was 6.

3:38 AM  
Blogger Hegemon said...

You're new here so I'll clarify a little bit.. that was supposed to be a friendly joke. ;)

I officially pronounce that I like you.

4:32 AM  
Blogger Cindy said...

great story!

9:11 AM  
Blogger peppylady (Dora) said...

Never been to chuckie Cheese. Close one is a little over an hour drive.

5:58 PM  
Blogger Wanderer said...

Yeah, Lisa, it kind of sucks. Chuck E. is still animatronic, but he talks to the rest of them on TV. MC, I thank you for pointing out that I am not a blind retarded lemur. That is very reassuring.

12:31 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home