Wednesday, February 15, 2006

Religion and survival

The Christian mindset says that if I killed myself tonight I would burn in hell for eternity. The reincarnation set says that I would just come back to face the same troubles. The atheists would say that there would simply be nothing. None of these things scare me. Sometimes I wonder if I got married out of survival instinct. I take my vows seriously and my demise wouldn't prevent the hardships of my wife and daughter, it would compound them.

This last is the only thing that concerns me. It may well be unfortunate for my wife and daughter that it life insurance companies have such well trained investigators. If not it would be extremely easy to insure my role of providing for my family was taken care if.

Just one more reflection on life, or something close to it.

3 Comments:

Blogger Grey Owl said...

You know, Wanderer, that sounds a little... morbid. As in more than usual. Everything going ok?

BTW, despite what some Christians tell you, no where in the Bible does it condemn suicides to hell. I think that suicide is almost always a sign of sickness, and I doubt God condemns people for being ill.

5:33 PM  
Blogger Seraphim said...

Yo. you may be overstating the case here. Not all Christians believe suicide is a straight ticket to hell..

some would say All Sins were covered at the cross and the basis for heaven is not works/deeds but Relationship with the Father.

peace

Seraphim

1:30 PM  
Blogger Wanderer said...

This was intended to merely be a reflection of my mindset at that moment, morbid as Grey Owl indicated. I understand not all feel that way. I also understand that if I was truly suicidal, which I wasn't, your statement that I might be okay after all might not have been the best tactic.

Not attacking you, time has passed, and so it would appear the threat had if readers believed it ever was, I just found that concept really funny, reading it as I did: "No, don't worry, go ahead and off yourself, you'll probably be ok."

10:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home